Chiropractic is a medical profession that focuses mainly on treatment of muscles and nervous system disorders and the effect they have on general health.
Chiropractors practice a drug-free method of treating patients. Their main technique is manual therapy which involves manipulation of the spine, joints and soft tissue. They can also use exercise and lifestyle counseling as a means of treatment.
There are two types of chiropractors;
- The traditional chiropractor – this type of chiropractor practices vertebral subluxation. A subluxation interferes with nerve impulses which in turn interfere with the normal functioning of the body. The chiropractor’s aim is to fix the subluxation and restore the spine to its normal position. This is achieved through spinal exercises and adjustments like carefully applying pressure and massaging the back and neck. The patient is monitored closely through a series of x-rays; MRI’s and tests that monitor the subluxation until the spine is back to its normal alignment and functioning properly.
- The symptom relief chiropractor – this type of chiropractor focuses on relief of symptoms like back pains, neck pains and headaches. Manipulations are done to the spine to reduce the pain by compressing the joints. In some states, chiropractors are trying to expand their practice by prescribing drugs. The duration of treatments usually depends on the patient’s symptoms or their insurance covers. After treatments the patient may feel better though this may be temporary. The spine will still continue to degenerate and this result in damage of the joints in the spine and the part of the body the nerves supply.
Benefits of chiropractic
The rewards of chiropractic are very significant and the ricks are very low. The benefits of using chiropractic therapy are;
It is considered as the most effective method of treating lower back pains.
Spinal manipulation is very effective in reducing pain and faster recovery for patients with acute back pains.
Treatments offered by Chiropractors;
- Injuries – in cases like sports, they offer correction, rehab and prevention therapy.
- Therapeutic exercise – these are exercises designed to attain a certain physical benefit, for example, strengthening of weak muscles.
- Stress control – they advise people on how to manage their stress levels.
- Nutrition – Chiropractors council patients with illness caused by dieting issues on the best diet to use, for example, being overweight.
- Laser therapy – they use laser therapy to treat deep tissue disorders.
- Physiotherapy – they use lab tests like ultrasounds and x-rays to determine the problems and monitor their progress.